Sunday, May 23, 2010

The End

First beach camp on Lost


I was blown away by the season finale of Lost. I had a hard time not crying out loud. I'm not even sure I can put into words the beauty of this final episode. Don't read the rest if you haven't seen the finale. I might write more on this some day. I surely will rewatch the entire series some day, but not for a while. I want to give it time to sink in and formulate clear words. I want to watch the whole thing and have it be fresh again. What a wonderful story.


It's funny when I look back at all my theories on the mythology and stuff shown, when it turned out to simply be a tale of people needing each other, loving each other, and going through life together, and not dying alone. I mean, it wasn't so simple, really, and many complex subjects were alluded to, but in the end was a simple message. There are still certainly many unanswered mysteries surrounding the island, and the end took place in a church and had a spiritual quality to the whole scene. It was sort of tough to handle I think, with my father's death not so long ago relatively, and a strong memory of my family spending that time together. 

In the end, Christian Shepherd (Jack's dad) finally appeared to him. Jack knew he was dead. He was finally reconciled with his father, and then went into the church to see a grand reunion of the main people from the island, and Jack asked "are they all dead now" to his father, and his father said something like "there is no now," and "everyone dies sometime." I think in the end, it just went back to the old adage of living together and not dying alone, a beautiful sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment